- Design lead/manager with extensive experience (16 years) in user experience, user interface design, user experience research and design leadership across different industries including cloud software, education and philanthropy, media, e-commerce, travel and financial services. Experienced in both startup and corporate environments.
- Experience in building and leading a small design team. Proven experience in leading these teams within a small startup to execute swiftly and also within a big cross-functional organization to be able to manage delivery of projects across different areas efficiently.
- Strong advocate of user-centricity and designing with local perspectives, especially in designing inclusively across multiple cultures and geography. Having always worked for multinational companies, I have expertise and insight in how global companies can deliver in regional and local markets.
User Interface Design User Experience Design User Experience Research
Co-Design Workshops Team Management Facilitation
Content Strategy Localization Team Development
June 2021 - Present
Senior Manager, Product Design
- Managing 2 designers and 1 researcher (dotted line), working across portfolios including Experiences, Vacation Rentals, Flights, Cars and International Growth, reporting to HQ Design Director
- Gather global and local insights to design product and features that serve travelers and partners related to the above portfolios Led designs for key projects including Destination Authority, Tripadvisor Plus Service Blueprint and Vacation Rentals/Flights strategic improvements
- Vacation Rentals: Successfully designed for 90+ improvement tests within 2022 alone that amounted to a total of $6.5M of revenue
- Vacation Rentals: Drove alignments among stakeholders by conducting Co-Creation Workshop across time zones during late Covid-19 (early 2022)
- Vacation Rentals: Successfully aligned teams in building first-hand understanding from users through 3 research projects planned and executed entirely by our team in Singapore
- Tripadvisor Plus: Delivered Service Blueprint that amounted to estimated revenue of $1B (2021)
- Promoted from Principal Designer (IC) to Senior Manager, Product Design at the end of 2022
May 2020 - May 2021
Senior Product Designer
- Partnering with Product and Engineering team in APAC to solve and scope roadmaps for our merchants in China, that included (but not limited to) solving payment and sales channel needs
- User experience/user interface design, prototyping and co-creation workshops for many of the APAC-related projects
- Planning, conducting, synthesizing and reporting of UX research (UX research being a core designer skill in Shopify)
- Ran a company-wide evangelism on raising awareness of APAC merchant problems through a series of educational content and anecdote sharing through Slack and other means of communication
- Mentoring junior designer
- Initiated and led cross-functional project for live selling, aligning stakeholders through co-creation/design sprint workshop, UX research, prototyping and MVP planning. This resulted in potential revenue of more than $420 per customer that the merchants serve (6x the average of $72 per customer)
- Successfully evangelised awareness to solving APAC merchant issues through anecdotes and data sharing on Slack to the wider product + eng team, which resulted in sparking conversation internally
- Successfully continued Phase 2 of Facebook sales channel project for merchants in China, identified opportunities to integrate sales agents to open up more sales for them
Vrbo (an Expedia company)
October 2016 - April 2020
Senior Manager, Design
- Managed 3 designers in Singapore, India and Australia, working across portfolios including Global Acceleration (launching to new markets), Core UX, Affiliates and Stay, reporting to HQ Senior Director
- Partnering with Product and Engineering team in APAC and HQ to solve and scope roadmaps for vacation rental travelers and homeowners/partners across different problem areas as mentioned above
- User experience/user interface design, prototyping and co-creation workshops for many of the traveler-facing projects
- Planning, conducting, synthesizing and reporting of UX research
- Mentoring junior designers
- Ran a company-wide evangelism on raising awareness of APAC traveler problems through a series of educational content and anecdote sharing through Slack and other means of communication
- Initiated, planned and completed an immersive research project in Japan to understand Japan travelers and homeowners, resulting in better brand equity in Japan and 5x increase of traffic to homeaway.jp (2018-2019)
- Completed Japan Design Playbook that acts as a guidance for product designers and managers to design for Japan and other East Asian customers
- Successfully migrated legacy Travelmob (pre-Homeaway) platform to integrate with global HomeAway platform
- Completed and shipped projects including Global Nav/POS matching, Affiliates Program blueprint and pre-HomeAway improvements that included onboarding flow and profile page
- Promoted from Lead Designer to Senior Manager, Design in 2019
October 2015 - October 2016
As a vital member of the pre-sales team within a digital development agency, my primary role entailed the incorporation of User Experience (UX) perspectives into our client proposals. This pivotal responsibility extended to the formulation of a comprehensive vision for the conceptual solutions we offered to our clientele.
December 2014 - September 2015
AVP, Product Design
Part of the Consumer Banking Group (CBG), I was responsible for the design of mobile and internet banking for Singaporean customers.
October 2013 - December 2014
Senior Designer & Design Manager
Designed product experience for our clientele (Indonesian, US and European) working on various problem spaces such as digital wallet, e-commerce, travel and transportation. Managed one designer.
October 2012 - October 2013
Lead Product Designer
The first product designer in the C2C marketplace startup based in Indonesia, my first responsibility was to audit and overhaul the design to take it to the next level in order to gain more conversion, satisfy merchants and on track for the next round of investment.
November 2007 - June 2012
First job working for Oracle Education Foundation, the philanthropic arm of Oracle Corporation. As part of a global remote team, I designed an e-learning collaborative platform for K-12 schools (Think.com and ThinkQuest) and helped train our users (teachers) locally to use them and to gain feedback. I also was responsible for marketing materials for ads and events.
Master of Design
Institut Teknologi Bandung, Indonesia
- Designed immersive travel guide of old town Jakarta (Batavia) using geo-fencing and web-based mobile application
- Won scholarship for the entire course from the Indonesian government Completed the courses 6 months earlier
Bachelor of Design in Visual Communication Design
Institut Teknologi Bandung, Indonesia
- Won scholarship from Fortune Indonesia in 2006
- Participated in various student competitions including Imagine Cup 2005 & 2006 and Oracle ThinkQuest 2004, 2005, 2006
- Final project was Garuda Indonesia’s airline livery theme for Indonesia’s 60th independence day, featuring two main themes: nature and culture